February 14, 2021

Toronto Blue Jays - #36 Bob File (2003)

In April 2004, roughly a month before graduating from college, I joined friends from high school, college, and my future wife on a weekend trip to Toronto.  By this time, I knew I'd remain in Rochester after graduation as I was offered a job with the local division of Harris Corporation.  After a ten-year period of caring about the minor leagues far more than the major leagues, and noting that Toronto was significantly closer to my new home (sorry Pittsburgh and Cleveland!), I decided around this time that I would become a Blue Jays fan.  I certainly wasn't entering at a high point.  My friends and I witnessed a decent game, decided for the Orioles by a Larry Bigbie homerun in the Top of the 9th, but that edition of the Blue Jays would go on to lose 94 games, including a few more I'd see that year.  On our way out of the SkyDome, as it was still called, and on our way to drink the largest pitcher of beer I've ever seen at the Peel Pub, we stopped in the team store and bought this jersey.

Bob File was a big boy, a 6'4" 210 pound relief pitcher, and like me originally from Pennsylvania.  Drafted out of Thomas Jefferson University in the 19th round, Bob made quick progress through the minor league ranks.  He reached AAA Syracuse in only his 3rd season in professional baseball, yet dominated.  He allowed only two earned runs and two walks in 19.1 innings.  It appears another quick minor league start propelled Bob to 60 major league appearances in 2001.  It appears that the wheels fell off to some degree in 2002 and injuries must have gotten him during 2003, the year this jersey was intended to be used, and the last year that the Blue Jays wore this style before switching to a white, blue, and silver scheme.

The jersey is in excellent condition as one might expect for a game-issue.  It served as my introduction to embroidered team tagging, a practice that has sadly fallen out of favor in recent years, but to me is still part and parcel of the world of game work jerseys.  A close inspection shows that the central red line through each letter and number is actually a very thin piece of tackle twill, individually stitched.  Also worth a look is the sleeve patch.  The muscular bird hugging the T was actually the team's primary logo in 2003 after being introduced as an alternate logo in 2001.  It always looked a little too similar to the Texas Rangers T to me.

Details:
  • Manufacturer - Majestic
  • Size - 48
  • Date Acquired - 4/17/2004
  • Authentic Team Issue - 100% Polyester
  • Three-color Twill Script/Numbers
  • Left Sleeve Patch
  • Issued for 2003 Season



1 comment:

  1. I’ve always liked the way that uniform numbers are displayed in the Blue Jays organization. Too bad you missed out on the early 90s powerhouse!

    ReplyDelete